Jackfruit(Chakka in malayalam) is a fruit I must have hardly eaten ones or twice during my to Kerala in summer vacation,as a kid. My Grandma saved some of the sweetest Jackfruits for me and my sis. She also prepared a very delicious dish of the ripe jackfruit.
Its now that I started finding the frozen Jackfruit packs(daily delight brand)in the Indian stores here.Here I share a very authentic jackfruit dish made in kerala,very simple and really healthy!!
1.Jackfruit - 1 pack(frozen-daily delight brand
2.Turmeric - 1 tsp
3. Garlic pods - 3
4. Shallot - 3
5. Green Chili - 2
6. Curry Leaves - 8/9
7. Oil - 2 tbsp
8. Grated coconut - 1 1/2 cup
9. More Shallots- 2 finely chopped for garnish
10.Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Method of Preparation:
1. In a vessel cook the jackfruit with,almost 3 cups of water salt and turmeric(the jackfruit cooks for almost 20 mins until its mushy in texture.)
2. Drain excess water.
3.In a mixer grind grated coconut,green chili ,3 shallots and garlic pods with 2 tbsp of water(you can use the drained out water-2 tbsp, from cooked jackfruit for more flavor)
4.In a pan,splutter mustard seeds in oil,to it add curry leaves,2 slit green chili,and chopped shallot.
5. Saute them until shallot turns golden brown.
6.Add the cooked jackfruit and saute for another min or 2.
7. Warm jackfruit thoran with steamed rice and Mooru kootan is simply a yummy combination!!
Do try it and let me know your feedback.