Crab curry is one of my favorite dishes. I remember craving for crab curry one fine day,during my pregnancy and my dear friend and extremely good cook, Achoo made this very yummy crab roast.I totally enjoyed eating it with steamed white rice,and more than me I guess my hubby enjoyed it ;) , Today I'd like to share Malabar(northern Kerala) crab curry,which is very different from the crab roast but tastes equally good.
1) Crab - 3 lb(Clean and cut into medium pieces)
2) Red onion - 1/2 cup(chopped finely)
3) Ginger - 1 tbsp crushed
4)Garlic - 5-6 pods crushed
5) Green Chilli - 2 to 3 ( vertically sliced)
6) Turmeric powder - 1 tsp
7) Whole Red chilli -5 to 6
8) Whole Corriander - 2 tbsp
9) Whole Pepper - 1 tsp
10) Grated coconut - 1 cup
11) Coconut oil - 4 tbsp
12) Curry Leaves - 10 to 12
13) Salt as per taste
14) Corriander leaves to garnish
15)Dried cut coconut pieces - 1 tbsp
Method Of Preparation:
1) In a pan heat 2 tsp coconut oil, and fry the grated coconut until golden brown in low flame.
2) Add the whole chilli, corriander and pepper to it and roast in for 2-3 mins
3) Let it cool, grind it in a mixer with 3/4 cup of water to forn a fine paste.
4) In wok heat 2 tbsp oil,add the cut onion and fry it until they turn slightly golden brown.
5) Add ginger garlic and green chilli to it and stir for another 5mins.
6) Now add the crab pieces into it( marinate crab with salt and turmeric in advance) and stir for 5 mins .
7) Add 3 cups of water and let it cook with closed lib on a low-medium flame for 30-40 mins
8) Add the coconut paste to it when the water in the pot has simmered to 1/4 the original amount.
9) Cook the crab in the coconut paste for another 10 mins, add salt if needed.
10)In a pan heat 1 tbsp of coconut oil, sort the dried cut coconut pieces until golden brown,add curry leaves and finely chopped red onion(1 tsp)to it.Saute until onion and coconut turns dark brown in color.
11) Add this to the Crab curry.
12) Serve it hot with steamed rice.