1) Fish(King Fish,Pomphret,black pomphret) - 2 lb ( thinly cut)
2) Shallot - 6 to 7( thinly sliced)
3) Ginger - 1 tsp( finely chopped)
4) Garlic - 1/4 tsp ( 1 clovefinely chopped)
5) Green chilli - 2 ( vertically slit)
6) Curry leaves - 10 to 12
7) Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
8) Chilli powder - 1/4 tsp
9) Pepper powder - 1/4 tsp (Freshly ground)
10) Coconut oil - 2 tbsp
11) Vegetable oil - 4 to 5 tbsp
12) Thick coconut milk - 1/2 cup
13) Thin Coconut milk(grind grated coconut + water) - 1 cup OR
Fat Free cow's milk - 1 cup
14) Tomato - 1 ( cut into cubes)
Method of Preparation:
1) Marinate fish with salt, turmeric powder and chilli powder, keep saide for 15 to 20 mins
2) In a frying pan,heat vegetable oil and shallow fry fishes so that they do not break while cooking.(soak excess oil if any in a tissue paper)
2) In a claypot heat coconut oil,fry shallots, ginger, garlic and curry leaves until they turn golden brown.
3) Add thin coconut milk(or fat free cow milk) and allow it to boil.
4) Add the fried fish to it and cook it with closed lid on low flame for 10 to 15 mins
5) Add the cut tomatos and freshly ground pepper to it.
6) Switch off the flame, add salt if required.
7) Finally pour the thick coconut milk and keep the clay pot closed for sometime.
8) Serve it hot with Pallappam/Vellappam.