Vermicelli upma has been my favorite from the college days.Vermicelli upma and a hot cup of tea at my dearest friend's place after a tiring week day had been part of my routine. This recipe definitely is dedicated to Raji aunty,my style.
1.Vermicelli - 1 cup(roasted)
2.Onion - 1/2 cup finely chopped
3. Ginger - 1/2 tsp finely chopped
4. Green chilli -2
5. Green peas- 1/2 cup
6.Carrot - 1/2 cup
7.Cilantro - 1/4 cup finely chopped
8. Raisin - 1 tbsp
8. Mustard - 1 tsp
9. Cashew nut - 1 tsp
10.Curry leaves - 4-5
11. Red chilli(whole) - 2
Method of preparation:
1. Boil water ,add salt and a tsp of oil to it(*oil keeps vermicelli from sticking). Add the vermicelli and off the flame,keep it aside for 3-5 mins.
2. drain the cooked vermicelli and pour cool water and drain it too( *cool water keeps vermicelli from sticking too.)
3. In a wok, splutter mustard seeds in 1 tbsp of oil on medium flame. Add curry leaves ,whole red chillis, raisin and cashew nut.
4.Add chopped onion, ginger and green chillis and saute until golden brown.
5.Add green peas, carrot and salt and cook for another2-3 mins.
6. lower the flame and add the cooked vermicelli and mix it well .
7. Garnish is with freshly chopped cilantro leaves.
8. Server it hot with a cup of tea.